FREE WORKOUT FRIDAY: Squats and Bears!
I hope you’ve had a fulfilling week and are ready for the super quick, simple and heart-pumping workout I’ve got in store for you.
It’s perfect for those day when you just don’t have time. It can also be used as a finisher for any of your strength workouts.
Finishers are short-duration (>10 minutes), high-intensity routines we use at Hurst Strength after our strength work. Finishers rev your metabolism, help your body burn fat longer, build and maintain lean muscle, improve your conditioning levels and let you push yourself to your limit before leaving the gym.
If you’re like me, and the thought of running or working out on a cardio machine for 30 minutes or more after you’ve done your lifting is utterly revolting, then finishers are a blessing (a fierce, butt-kicking blessing, but still..).
ONTO THE WORKOUT…
Squats and Bears!
With this workout you’ll get your booty working, your core stronger, your shoulders and hips ready to rock AND improve your conditioning levels. All you need is your body and one medium weight kettlebell or dumbbell.
How to do it:
- Goblet squats x 5 reps
- Bear crawl x 20 seconds
Repeat back to back for 3-7 rounds, resting as little as possible.
- Make sure to keep your chest up while squatting and only go as low as you’re able to without your lower back rounding.
- Place a ball, water bottle or other small object on your lower back while crawling to help keep your core engaged and to prevent your hips from swaying or hiking up OR imagine a glass of water resting on your lower back that you can’t let spill.
- For more tips and info on bear crawls CLICK HERE.
- If you’re doing this as a standalone workout, make sure to complete a mobility warm-up first.
- Perform both movements as quickly as possible without sacrificing form. Quality over quantity, always!
Get sweaty, have fun with it and let me know how you do!
Leave a comment below or give me a shout on Instagram (tag @HurstStrengthCT), I’d love to see your pics/videos!
I hope you have a fab weekend filled with plenty of laughs, sweat and thrills!